NEW: (# Failure to Register Technicality
NEW: Failure to Register a Sex Offense???
CAUTION: SORNA EFFECTIVE even if state has not enacted it
Plea Bargains: Santabello v New York
Forced to Carry Gov't Message Issue: See HERE
Blog also contains "Unfavorable" and "Informational" decisions and relevant news articles. All can be useful in framing arguments for new court actions. (i.e., avoid pitfalls or inform courts.) Or refuting charges, check facts of cases v yours.
Leagle is our main court decision resource.
Find State decisions by the Federal Circuit a State is in.

CAUTION: Decisions are meant to be educational.
For "Personal Life Decisions" consult with a lawyer.
Showing posts with label (# Lawsuit Settlements. Show all posts
Showing posts with label (# Lawsuit Settlements. Show all posts

Judge orders D.C. to pay record $9.2 million in wrongful conviction case

2-28-15 Washington DC:

A D.C. Superior Court judge ordered the District government Friday to pay a record $9.2 million in damages to Kirk L. Odom, 52, who was wrongfully imprisoned for more than 22 years in the rape and robbery of a woman in her Capitol Hill apartment in 1981.

The amount, set by Judge Neal E. Kravitz, is the second — and largest — award in a case tried before a District judge under the District’s wrongful conviction law, which was approved in 1980. It also is one of the largest non-jury awards in an exoneration case in the United States.

“Mr. Odom spent more than twenty-two years of what should have been the prime of his adult life behind bars for a crime he did not commit,” Kravitz wrote in a 37-page opinion that recounted Odom’s “profound” physical and psychological suffering over the decades that included several prison rapes, his diagnosis with HIV — the virus that causes AIDS — suicide attempts, depression and family estrangement.

“It was readily apparent to the court at trial that Mr. Odom is only a shell of the young man he was at the time of his wrongful conviction, and only a shell of the grown man he would have become had he not been wrongly convicted and unjustly imprisoned,” Kravitz wrote.

In an interview , Odom, who was 18 at the time of the crime, said he welcomed word of the award from his attorneys, but added, “They can’t pay me enough money to give me back the years that I’ve lost.”

Carbondale approves settlement in lawsuit

3-17-15 Pennsylvania:

CARBONDALE — A lawsuit against Carbondale moved one step closer to settlement after city council approved a $50,000 payment.

In a suit filed last year, Leo Conway of Archbald claimed his son, Patrick, was among 15 sex offenders registered under Megan’s Law in the city but the only one forced to move under an ordinance that precluded registered sex offenders from living within 2,500 feet of a school, park or other areas where children might gather.

In July 2012, Mayor Justin Taylor contacted the Conways’ landlord and advised him that Patrick Conway’s presence violated the city’s ordinance and directed him to evict the men, according to the lawsuit. Mr. Conway argued a 2011 state Supreme Court decision in another case made Carbondale’s law unconstitutional.

Henry Ford College settles suit with sex offender

See earlier story: Sex offender suing HFCC for kicking him out and Henry Ford Community College Faces Suit After Kicking Sex Offender Out and Sex offender with high GPA wants back into college (Attorney Shaun Godwin)

5-5-15 Michigan:

A convicted sex offender who sued a suburban Detroit college over his dismissal settled the case for $36,000.

An agreement obtained by The Associated Press says the payment came earlier this year from Henry Ford College’s insurer. In exchange, Michael Branch has agreed to stay away from the Dearborn campus.

Branch claimed his rights were violated when the school removed him in 2011, despite good grades in a heating-and-cooling program. But in court filings, Henry Ford said his enrollment was terminated because of parole requirements. Branch had to stay away from minors and child-care facilities.

Henry Ford denied wrongdoing but settled the lawsuit solely for “business reasons.” Branch was convicted of having sex with a 15-year-old girl in 2004. by The Detroit News

Arkansas Doctor Challenges Law Barring Sex Offenders From Receiving Medicaid Money

UPDATE 11-13-13: Judge refuses to block law denying Medicaid payments to sex offenders (Full article following this one) and then in December: Judge dismisses lawsuit filed by Medicaid doctor convicted of child porn (No reason given)

9-16-2012 Arkansas:

A southwestern Arkansas physician who is a convicted sex offender has filed a federal lawsuit challenging a new state law that prohibits registered sex offenders from providing Medicaid-funded services in the state.

Dr. Lonnie Joseph Parker argues in the lawsuit filed Friday that the new law, which took effect Aug. 16, violates his constitutional rights.

Parker, who practices in Hope, said in the lawsuit that he provides emergency and general family medical services — including family planning — to rural poor in the state and is a registered provider under the Arkansas Medicaid Program. More than 75 percent of his patients are Medicaid beneficiaries, he said.

Parker was joined in the lawsuit by patients who want him to continue being their family primary care doctor, including Tonya Witherspoon, a mother of five and a Medicaid recipient, and Paula Sunderman and her daughter, Sara.

The law seeks a preliminary injunction to halt enforcement of the law pending the outcome of the lawsuit.